Using ADLO with Linuxbios

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Sun Apr 27 12:08:00 CEST 2003

Steve Gehlbach <steve at nexpath.com> writes:

> Eric W. Biederman wrote:
>
> >The BOOT_IDE driver has been modified in strange
> > ways to find things in the first partition and I have not had a chance
> > to look over the code to see what is going on there yet.
> >

> Not strange to me, by default it simply skips 63x512 bytes (0x7e00), which is
> normally for most disks today where partition 1 starts.  Of course, it should
> read and decode the partition table, but this is much harder.

No.  I very deliberately do not read partition tables.
And not because it is difficult, but more because there is not
a consensus (especially across architectures) on what partition
tables should look like.

The code used to work just like the etherboot code and read
the first 8K but that has obviously changed while I was not
looking.

Current x86 partition tables are limited to 2TB disks.  Not
an immediate problem I admit but with 120+GB drives today
it is a limit we are quickly approaching.

Eric