Using ADLO with Linuxbios

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Fri Apr 25 20:27:01 CEST 2003

ron minnich <rminnich at lanl.gov> writes:

> On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Steve Gehlbach wrote:
>
> > It is my understanding this direct mechanism will be removed, though, in
> > linuxbios2, so that only elf images can be used in the future.

Already done.

The basic rule so we have a line against code bloat is that:
LinuxBIOS will boot an ELF image non-interactively off of 1 device.
It can be any device you want, but it is one ELF image.

> yes but booting elfimages direct from linuxbios will still be possible.

Yep.  So far I only have the simple rom driver in the tree.
But moving some other ones over as well should not be a problem.

In building up the tree I am going back and forth between making the
Opteron port work (with everything hard coded I can boot linux now),
and simplifying and generalizing the generic code.

An interesting facet of how Hypertransport works even device numbers
are no longer fixed.  So our current interrupt code must be reworked.
When the bus and device number change copying static tables of static
information just does not work.

Eric