Delay in copying Linuxbios to ram

SONE Takeshi ts1 at cma.co.jp
Fri Apr 25 04:38:00 CEST 2003

On Thu, Apr 24, 2003 at 12:59:27PM -0700, Steve Gehlbach wrote:
> Deepak Kotian wrote:
> >3-4 seconds looks a long time, should uncompression of few 100 KBbytes
> >take that long.
> >Also, could someone please elaborate the signifigance of biosbase set with
> >this reference.
> >

> biosbase defaults to 0xf0000 and I believe this region is automatically
> cached by linuxbios (maybe not?).  If biosbase is set to 0xffff0000,
> then in your config you need to set:
>
> option XIP_ROM_SIZE= 0x01000000
> option XIP_ROM_BASE= 0xff000000

I have the same delay problem on VIA EPIA board.
It didn't run with biosbase set to 0xffff0000 (hangs after first banner,
and I don't have a POST card to track it down).

In cpu/p6/earlymtrr.inc, 0xf0000-0xfffff is left uncached.
(Only 0-640KB is cached, 640KB-1M is uncached)
I will try adding code there to set fixed MTRR for 0xf0000-0xfffff
WP caching.
It should be harmless for other boards that do not need this,
what do you think?

--
Takeshi