Still not having success with SM P4DPE

ron minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Fri Apr 11 09:57:00 CEST 2003

to simplify this I'm going to just show you my files, which work. I just
built a linuxbios yesterday that worked fine on the P4DPE-G2.

my romimage sizes for this are 64K and (512k-64k)

Note that fallback size is 40K which with the 24k etherbooth gives you
64k.

I think your normal file has a typo on the rom image size.

ron
--- fallback
## This will make a target directory of ./fallback
## This is relative to where the configuration file resides in the filesystem
target ./p4dpe-g2-fallback

mainboard supermicro/p4dpe/g2

## Build a fallback not a normal image.
option USE_FALLBACK_IMAGE=1

## Build an image for a 512KB rom
## ./fallback/romimage is just the last 64KB which we reserve for the fallback image.
option ROM_SIZE=524288
#option ROM_SIZE=1048576

## Select the maximum size the linuxBIOS code can compile to.
## Allow linuxBIOS to be up to 48KB in size
option ROM_IMAGE_SIZE=40960

##
### The Serial Console
##
## Hardware flow control is currently ignored.

## Enable the Serial Console
option SERIAL_CONSOLE=1

## Select the serial console baud rate.
option TTYS0_BAUD=115200
#option TTYS0_BAUD=57600
#option TTYS0_BAUD=38400
#option TTYS0_BAUD=19200
#option TTYS0_BAUD=9600
#option TTYS0_BAUD=4800
#option TTYS0_BAUD=2400
#option TTYS0_BAUD=1200

# Select the serial console base port
option TTYS0_BASE=0x3f8

# Select the serial protocol
# This defaults to 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, and no parity
option TTYS0_LCS=0x3

##
### Select the linuxBIOS loglevel
##
## EMERG      1   system is unusable
## ALERT      2   action must be taken immediately
## CRIT       3   critical conditions
## ERR        4   error conditions
## WARNING    5   warning conditions
## NOTICE     6   normal but significant condition
## INFO       7   informational
## DEBUG      8   debug-level messages
## SPEW       9   Way too many details

## Request this level of debugging output
option DEFAULT_CONSOLE_LOGLEVEL=7
## At a maximum only compile in this level of debugging
option MAXIMUM_CONSOLE_LOGLEVEL=7

## Use the elf bootloader
option USE_ELF_BOOT=1

## Select the boot device
option USE_GENERIC_ROM=1
#option BOOT_FLOPPY=1
#option USE_SERIAL_FILL_INBUF=1
#option BOOT_IDE=1

# Load etherboot with the elf bootloader
# The payload command is relative the build directory
# So .. is the directory this config file resides in
payload ../lnxieepro100.ebi

##
## Cpu Speed
##
option CPU_CLOCK_MULTIPLIER=XEON_X8
#option CPU_CLOCK_MULTIPLIER=XEON_X9
#option CPU_CLOCK_MULTIPLIER=XEON_X10
#option CPU_CLOCK_MULTIPLIER=XEON_X11
#option CPU_CLOCK_MULTIPLIER=XEON_X12
#option CPU_CLOCK_MULTIPLIER=XEON_X13
#option CPU_CLOCK_MULTIPLIER=XEON_X14
#option CPU_CLOCK_MULTIPLIER=XEON_X15
#option CPU_CLOCK_MULTIPLIER=XEON_X16
#option CPU_CLOCK_MULTIPLIER=XEON_X17
#option CPU_CLOCK_MULTIPLIER=XEON_X18
#option CPU_CLOCK_MULTIPLIER=XEON_X19
#option CPU_CLOCK_MULTIPLIER=XEON_X19
#option CPU_CLOCK_MULTIPLIER=XEON_X20
#option CPU_CLOCK_MULTIPLIER=XEON_X21
#option CPU_CLOCK_MULTIPLIER=XEON_X22
#option CPU_CLOCK_MULTIPLIER=XEON_X23

##
## Select power on after power fail setting
option MAINBOARD_POWER_ON_AFTER_POWER_FAIL=MAINBOARD_POWER_ON
#option MAINBOARD_POWER_ON_AFTER_POWER_FAIL=MAINBOARD_POWER_ON

--- normal

## This will make a target directory of ./normal
## This is relative to where the configuration file resides in the filesystem
target ./p4dpe-g2-normal

mainboard supermicro/p4dpe/g2

## Build a normal not a fallback image.
option USE_FALLBACK_IMAGE=0

## Build an image for a 512KB rom
## ./normal/romimage is the entire rom image except for the last 64KB
## which are reserved for the fallback image.
option ROM_SIZE=524288
#option ROM_SIZE=1048576

## Select the maximum size the linuxBIOS code can compile to.
## Allow linuxBIOS to be up to 48KB in size
option ROM_IMAGE_SIZE=49152

##
### The Serial Console
##
[...]

option DEFAULT_CONSOLE_LOGLEVEL=4
## At a maximum only compile in this level of debugging
option MAXIMUM_CONSOLE_LOGLEVEL=5