Still not having success with SM P4DPE

Atherton, Stephen SAtherton at HPTI.com
Fri Apr 11 08:32:01 CEST 2003

Ron and James, thanks for clueing me in on the fallback image stuff.  I'm
still not quite doing something right though, it seems.

My config files are below.  I based these on the samples in
mainboard/supermicro/p4dpe.  The fallback image is 81k and contains the
etherboot payload...this doesn't seem right to me but I don't know what else
to do.  If I don't specify the etherboot payload, it tries to use vmlinux
which is much, much bigger.

So I run the config script on both files, then go to the fallback/ and
primary/ directories and run make, and I get a primary romimage of 458752
bytes and a fallback image of 81920 bytes.  That doesn't seem right.  What
am I doing wrong?  Oh and though I was doubtful, I did do a "cat
primary/romimage fallback/romimage > finalimage" and burned the final image.

Also, from the looks of the makeprocess my two image files are basically the
same binary stuff but one has a lot of null padding.  They both contain the
eepro100 elf image and linuxbios.rom...

Anyone see what is wrong with this picture?

-Steve

fallback.config --------------------------------------------

target ./fallback
mainboard supermicro/p4dpe
option USE_FALLBACK_IMAGE=1
option ROM_SIZE=524288
option ROM_IMAGE_SIZE=49152
option SERIAL_CONSOLE=1
option TTYS0_BAUD=9600
option TTYS0_BASE=0x3f8
option TTYS0_LCS=0x3
option DEFAULT_CONSOLE_LOGLEVEL=9
option MAXIMUM_CONSOLE_LOGLEVEL=6
option USE_ELF_BOOT=1
option USE_GENERIC_ROM=1
payload ../eepro100.elf
option CPU_CLOCK_MULTIPLIER=XEON_X8
option MAINBOARD_POWER_ON_AFTER_POWER_FAIL=MAINBOARD_POWER_ON

primary.config --------------------------------------------------

target primary
mainboard supermicro/p4dpe
linux /usr/src/linux-2.4.18-14
commandline root=/dev/hda2 console=ttyS0,9600 single
option USE_FALLBACK_IMAGE=0
option ROM_SIZE=524288
option ROM_IMAGE_SIZE=49152
option SERIAL_CONSOLE=1