UPX + linuxbios....

Eric W Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Fri Sep 27 12:38:01 CEST 2002

Ronald G Minnich <rminnich at lanl.gov> writes:

> On 27 Sep 2002, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
>
> > If it looks like we need to run the code uncompressed from the ROM
> > holler but for now I am going to assume we can compress everything.
> > Among other things it greatly simplifies the linker scripts.
>
> holler. I would like to have running-from-ROM as an option. Some of the
> people in the embedded space really want it.
>
> How do we keep both options as a config-time possibility?

So far we don't have a real running-from-ROM option for the C code as
we started copying the code segment along with the data segment to
RAM, a while ago, when I reduced the skew between Ollies boot from DOC
code and the rest of LinuxBIOS.

I have some trouble seeing where running-from-ROM is an issue when it
only happens at boot time.  But except for the problem of maintaining
very divergent code paths I have nothing against it.

Eric