reboot fails-- 630e or C3?

Steve M. Gehlbach steve at nexpath.com
Mon Sep 23 20:27:00 CEST 2002

> What linux seems to be tending to for reset is to set the watchdog timer,
> and then just sit there tapping your toes until it times out and resets
> the machine.  If we can get WDT support for the 630 hardware in, that
> would be the way to do it.
>
> ron

Good idea, I tried it with a little test code, and the wdt reset definitely
works.  I guess what is needed is a driver, since I did not see any support
for the sis630 wdt in drivers/char.

I'll probably go with my 2 line patch for now, since it does a perfect
reset, without toe tapping, and maybe someday SiS can write a driver to
support the chip.  I may do it at some point if my code otherwise needs it,
and it may, but it is too much of an investment of time just for the reset.

Thanks for the help.

-Steve

PS:
if anyone is interested the patch to 2.4.19 is pretty simple, put in before
the triple fault:

diff arch/i386/kernel/process.c arch/i386/kernel/process.c.orig
416,421d415
<
<                       // S. Gehlbach: 3-fault doesn't work for SiS630/C3,
<                       // so reset via the SiS630 ISA Bridge 0xc0 -> reg
0x46
<                       outl(0x80000844,0xCF8);
<                       outb(0xc0, 0xCFE);
<