sis630 mac address

Ronald G Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Sun Sep 22 21:17:01 CEST 2002

On Sun, 22 Sep 2002, Steve M. Gehlbach wrote:

> Thanks, you are correct, except the BIOS stubbornly refuses to reset it now.
> I have zeroed the cmos (using the jumper) several times, and pressed F2(? I
> think) to set default values, but still a zero.  It's interesting the the
> M787cl+, after a zero cmos, doesn't boot on the first poweron, have to then
> poweroff and try again. Oh well, budget board, budget bios I guess. Another
> argument for Linuxbios.

This is probably because the MAC address in flash is 0 too. Consider a
flash update. You have to:
- write the new flash
- write "permanent" parameters from CMOS to flash

then, next time CMOS gets wiped, you copy the MAC etc. from FLASH to CMOS.

If you load linuxbios and then zero flash, boom! -- no record of the MAC
address of the board. If you then load the original flash, it will copy
the all-zero mac address to flash.

we're going to need a way to record this kind of nonsense in FLASH images
of linuxbios.

ron