sis630 mac address

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Sun Sep 22 15:29:00 CEST 2002

Ronald G Minnich <rminnich at lanl.gov> writes:

> That's why they tell you to NEVER interrupt a BIOS update ... you can lose
> the MAC address. This amazingly fragile scheme is becoming more and more
> common.

Well that and you can kill your system 10 other ways as well.
Killing a BIOS update is fragile.  Though with a little care it can
be made fairly robust.

> It is becoming clear that we need a cmos.c for each mainboard, which does
> the mainboard-specific cmos functions. too bad.

A lot of this can be fairly motherboard independent with just the
list of where it lives changing from board to board.

Something that came up while I was trying to figure out how
to support multiple baud rates with the same binary build of
LinuxBIOS, is the idea to have an area set aside in the rom
image that is the size of the cmos, and has the default CMOS
settings.  And then anytime a checksum would fail or if we decide
not to look at the CMOS at all, we consult this area.  And it
can use a common generic code base.

The we just need to set up the flash uptility to copy this into
the image before it is flashed into the ROM.  The nice thing
is that we can uses this for things like motherboard serial numbers
or the ipv6 DHCP DUID that they want for DHCP.

Eric