pcchips m787cl+ problems

Ronald G Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Thu Sep 19 10:08:00 CEST 2002

On Thu, 19 Sep 2002, Steve M. Gehlbach wrote:

> I have been trying to bring up linuxbios on the m787cl+ motherboard and
> can't get very far.  This has the sis630e chipset and I used the m758
> configuration as a start.  The boot fails at the copy of linuxbios from rom
> to ram.  Fortunately the serial port works and I put in some tests and
> basically it acts like ram is not there.  An additional odd result is that
> it resets after about 5-10 seconds on a regular beat as if there is a
> watchdog timer or something.

I think you need to run a user-mode SPD reading program under Linux under
normal bios and make sure SPD bus is readable. Some vendors have two I2C
busses on their motherboard and you have to do something special to get to
SPD (e.g. ASUS).

Check out the watchdog disable code. Some motherboards wire up the 630
watchdog, others do not. In particular, the MS7308E has a watchdog timer
connected up and the mainboard code turns it off.

ron