Framebuffer or standard VGA ?

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Wed Sep 11 21:43:01 CEST 2002

ollie lho <ollie at sis.com.tw> writes:

> What is AFAICS ??

As Far As I Can See

> The catch is, for most cases, you have to program those "non-standard"
> undocumented extended register first then these Standard VGA registers
> become "Standard". You can try it anyway.

Ollie I haven't looked but do you know if there is anything comparable to
the memory initialization hassels LinuxBIOS has to go through?  Or has
your experience been just dumping the correct values in the correct
registers?

The other catch that I have seen is that in addition to requiring BIOS
services, the some vga init roms also assume that some legacy hardware
is present.

Eric