Framebuffer or standard VGA ?

Steve M. Gehlbach steve at nexpath.com
Tue Sep 10 12:12:01 CEST 2002

I am hoping to get standard alphanumeric vga setup into the linuxbios code
base, as part of the stpc initialization, in the very near future.  Linux
assumes the vga registers are already initialized in vgacon.c (in
drivers/video), and changes only a few register settings.  But (hopefully)
for alpha mode (not graphics!), the register settings are standard for most
vga cards and the init can be done in linuxbios without a vga bios.  If it
turns out that this not true for most modern VGA cards (I am not sure right
now), and there are extended register settings for alpha mode, then it will
likely be too difficult to setup alpha mode from linux bios.  Extended
registers are poorly documented and can be a mess.

Maybe someone knows if alphanumeric mode setup is via the standard VGA
register set on most modern VGA cards.

-Steve