The DoC problem

ollie lho ollie at sis.com.tw
Mon Sep 9 21:09:00 CEST 2002

On Mon, 2002-09-09 at 21:43, Ronald G Minnich wrote:
> On 9 Sep 2002, ollie lho wrote:
>
> > Actually this is very easy, The DoC requires only 8kB address window, if
> > we use a 128KB flash EEPROM for LinuxBIOS, we still have the MSB address
> > line free to acts as Chip Select. I believe this have been done by
> > someone in Austria (sorry, I forgot the name) before. On the other
> > hand, we lost the beauty of "only one flash needed".
>
> The question is: is this a product we can purchase and does it cost less
> than the motherboard?

I don't think so. The glue logic are very simple and the PCB area are
minimal. In this configuration, you have another bonus that you can use
DoC 2000 which is much cheaper than DoC Millennium. IIRC, Brian
Stephenson has made some of this long time ago. He also sent me a
schematic diagram for the "socket" he invented. Unfortunately, I can
not find anything about this left since my last HD crash. It also seems
that Brian Stephenson has left us and is no longer on the list.

Ollie