The DoC problem

ollie lho ollie at sis.com.tw
Mon Sep 9 06:46:01 CEST 2002

On Mon, 2002-09-09 at 18:03, Hamish Guthrie (Mail Lists) wrote:
> I think the DoC mess is here to stay, there is one potential solution if
> people are insisting on having DoC, and that is to make up a little board
> which plugs into a BIOS socket which has both a 256k flash device and a
> little bit of decode logic for a DoC, as well as a DoC - if anyone is
> interested in this approach, I could knock together a few prototypes for a
> couple of $'s, but I have my reservations as to this being a permanent
> long-term solution for production systems.

Actually this is very easy, The DoC requires only 8kB address window, if
we use a 128KB flash EEPROM for LinuxBIOS, we still have the MSB address
line free to acts as Chip Select. I believe this have been done by
someone in Austria (sorry, I forgot the name) before. On the other
hand, we lost the beauty of "only one flash needed".

Ollie