Trouble getting started.....

Antony Stone Antony at Soft-Solutions.co.uk
Sat Sep 7 12:55:00 CEST 2002

On Saturday 07 September 2002 5:16 pm, Steve M. Gehlbach wrote:

> I suspect Antony needs either "kbd-reset" on the kernel command line or
> "keyboard=1" in the nsuperio line in mainboard/Config.

Thanks for the suggestions Steve, but no, neither of those (not even both
together) worked.

> What's wrong with the keyboard? No output at all?

There are two problems:

1. Several hundred messages at boot time saying:
pc_keyb: controller jammed (0xFF)

The messages stop after a while and the system decides there's no keyboard
attached....

2. Keyboard completely non-functional.   Even pressing numlock doesn't toggle
the light.

However, for the purpose I'm interested in I'm nottoo bothered about the
keyboard, and I've now got my system to the stage where it boots a kernel
from DoC, allows me to log on from the serial port, and successfully
initialises a wireless LAN card I have on the PCI bus, so I can also ssh in
from my laptop (I use this machine as an access point for my home network).

The biggest thing I'm trying to fix now is the onboard ethernet interface
(SiS900) which the standard kernel driver tells me (from dmesg):
sis900.c: v1.08.04 4/25/2002
PCI: Found IRQ 5 for device 00:01.1
PCI: Sharing IRQ 5 with 00:01.6
eth0: No MII transceivers found!

Under the normal Bios boot, the same driver gives me:
sis900.c: v1.08.04 4/25/2002
PCI: Found IRQ 12 for device 00:01.1
eth0: Realtek RTL8201 PHY transceiver found at address 1.
eth0: Using transceiver found at address 1 as default
eth0: SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet at 0xd400, IRQ 12, 00:07:95:e2:c0:b6

The motherboard is a PCChips M810LMR.

Any ideas about this ?

Antony.

--

Anyone that's normal doesn't really achieve much.

 - Mark Blair, Australian rocket engineer