AW: DOC vs. IDE

McMechan, James McMechanJW at navair.navy.mil
Thu Oct 24 20:36:00 CEST 2002

Actually it was worse even in 2.4, the flash detection will disable the
other device
e.g.
hda=harddisk
hdb=flash
core probes hda prints out hda detection everything seems fine
core probes hdb prints out hdb detection
*** silently disables hda ***
system tries to boot from hda
dies as device is not present.

user goes insane because it is printed in the log as being detected

see about line 169 of linux-2.4.19/drivers/ide/ide-probe.c
I have a system with soldered in flash that with a hard disk is hdb
I have to pass hdb=noprobe to prevent that system from failing
The comments indicate that this is put in to prevent wasting time on probing
non existent slave device
but it is disabling the master device if the slave is flash :(