LinuxBIOS Questions.....

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Mon Oct 21 23:52:00 CEST 2002

Ronald G Minnich <rminnich at lanl.gov> writes:

> On 21 Oct 2002, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
>
> > Personally I think booting from a local hard driver is a less
> > manageable way to do things. I have booted a 1000 node cluster over
> > the network in under a minute.
>
> yep.
>
> > The DOC has 8MByte of space, yes.  I don't use it and I don't see the
> > need you can load a kernel from other places.  And in fact I consider
> > it a poor choice for any but an embedded user to hard code their
> > kernel, into the ROM.
>

> Here is where Eric and I agree to disagree :-)

More or less.  I think having a kernel that is part of your bootloader
in flash as a reasonable thing to do, beoboot is currently quite heavy
for a bootloader though.

> We really like having a kernel in DoC or IDE flash for our bproc Single
> System Image clusters. We boot a linux from these things and it lets us do
> all our cluster management over myrinet ... no ethernet needed. I don't
> think it is really possible to do this type of thing via (e.g.)
> etherboot for a long time.

Actually I suspect I could get it running in a week or two.  It should
not take too much to strip down the myrinet driver...

Ron you want to follow the linux kernel list and help me test the
linux booting linux code?

Eric