mainboard status

Daniel Freedman freedman at physics.cornell.edu
Thu Oct 17 12:07:00 CEST 2002

Hi Ron,

On Thu, Oct 17, 2002, Ronald G Minnich wrote:
> Here is what I would like to do: for each src/mainboard/<vendor>/<board>,
> e.g. src/mainboard/tyan/guiness, I want to have a file called STATUS. In
> this file are keyword-value pairs describing the state of the mainboard.
> Each night at midnight we'll have a cron job collate this information and
> produce a web page.

Sounds great...

> Mainboards will have owners responsible for letting us know if the board
> is working, and what the most recent good build time was. This information
> will be display on the web page.

<snip>

> Comments? Are there fields missing? Is there a fundamental problem with
> this idea that I'm missing?

I'd add something like a "reason" field or "explanation" field to provide info
to the "status" line (unless you feel this is amply covered in the
"comments" field, though I interpreted that to be more generic than
commenting directly on the "status" line).  This could be something like:

"Serverworks won't provide any chipset specs w/o NDA, and doesn't respond to
contacts with NDA, so support is unlikely for the future"

"e7500 supported, except for serial console"

"sis740 support is currently minimal, but growing quickly due to great help of
sis-employee Ollie"

(Above are all just made-up examples, incidentally.)

Don't know if this suggestion helps...

Take care,
Daniel

PS I am actually interested in LinuxBIOS support for Sis740 (featured on
nice SFF Shuttle S40G).  Wondering if anyone else is pursueing such?

--
Daniel A. Freedman <freedman at physics.cornell.edu>, Graduate Fellow
  Electronic Structure Calculations, LASSP, Cornell University