[COMMIT] Start of merging my tree and the LinuxBIOS tree

Eric W Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Thu Oct 10 15:23:01 CEST 2002

Ronald G Minnich <rminnich at lanl.gov> writes:

> > - Move pci setup before ramsize initialization
>
> I originally put this after with the idea that we would know where to
> start PCI memory space instead of the current assumptions that it starts
> at 0x80000000. I realize that we have stuck with the current blind
> placement of pci space but if you put pci setup before ramsize you won't
> have a way to fix this -- ever.
>
> Question is, how do you pick a place to start pci space now?

I start pci memory space at 0xFFFFFFFF and work backwards.
And then I remove the ram I cannot use do to having too many
pci devices.  I should probably put a limit like ensuring
I have at least 64M of ram or something.  But currently it
is much more common to have Gigabytes of ram then gigabytes
of pci memory space consumed.

Check out my src.rpm if you want to see how I am actually acheiving
this in my tree.

But basically you really need to know how large each region is
potentially before you make those decisions.  So at least assign_pci_resources
needs to happen before getting the ram size.

Eric