[ARMboot-users] ARMboot vs BLOB

Bari Ari bari at onelabs.com
Tue Oct 8 18:37:01 CEST 2002

Wolfgang Denk wrote:

>In message <3DA35343.3010606 at onelabs.com> you wrote:
>

>>We're looking at trying to merge ARMboot or BLOB into the LinuxBIOS tree
>>to give LinuxBIOS
>>http://www.acl.lanl.gov/linuxbios/ a common code base to boot ARM.
>>

>You may consider PPCBoot (or "Das U-Boot" = the Universal  Booter  as
>the next major release will be renamed), too.
>
>PPCboot is where ARMBoot descended from, and where it has been merged
>back  (more  or  less  completely).  Ports  for  other  architectures
>(including  ColdFire, XScale, and even x86) are in the works or being
>discussed.

LinuxBIOS has mainly evolved for x86 and Alpha for large clustering
applications and has built up good a user and developer base. It's also
gaining popularity for x86 embedded applications. LinuxBIOS also
includes support for Etherboot. LinuxBIOS currently boots x86 to Linux
and Plan9. It's also being used to build a new 10TeraFLOP cluster at
LANL. http://www.lanl.gov/worldview/news/releases/archive/02-106.shtml

Bari