Low performance of the IDE on the SIS550

Yves Godin Yves.Godin at lyrtech.com
Mon Oct 7 08:08:00 CEST 2002

At 11:03 AM 10/7/02 +0800, you wrote:
>On Fri, 2002-10-04 at 05:36, Yves Godin wrote:

> need. I
> seconds.
> > >
> > >How are you looking at the ide header? Logic Analyzer, scope?? If so, are
> > >you saying that the dma burst timing looks good but you are getting
> pauses
> > >of 5 -6 seconds between bursts?
> >
> > I`am looking the DRQ signal on th ide header with a scope. Now I'm getting
> > pauses of 2-3 seconds in writing. It`s weird because I don`t observe this
> > on a P133 which is slower that the SIS550 and the read seems ok.
> >

>What boad and chipset revision are you using ??

To evaluate the SIS550 , I'am using a board from ICOP, the ICOP-6070.

SIS5513: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 01
SIS5513: chipset revision 208

The SIS550 is running at 167 MHz.

By using a smaller partion of type ext2 instead of ext3, a succeed to have
peaks at 10 MB/s (locally) in writing with block size of 100 KBytes. I
don't know if it's the
smaller partition or the ext2 partition that help me. On the bigger ext3
partition, the max
I got was 7 MB/s (locally).

>Can you contact our marketing/technical support ??

I certainly will, but first I need to know what performance
I can expected from the SIS550. I`m in a rush now, I need
to determine this week if the SIS550 will be able to sustain
  10 MB/s in seconds in NFS writing.

You are probably the best person to ask,  what is the performance
that I can expected from the SIS550 ?  The 550 is our prefered choice,
but if it not performant anough, we will go with the VIA C3 with a PLE133T.