athlon board choice

David Thomas davelists at imagesmiths.com
Thu Oct 3 12:35:01 CEST 2002

I've been researching a board for cluster computing.  This is my wishlist

1.  Dual Athlon
2.  At least 2GB RAM capactity.  DDR or other high-speed is critical.
3.  midrange -- not dell or ibm for cost reasons
4.  Integrated video and 10/100 NIC, dual NIC a plus, SCSI not necessary
5.  1U or 2U ATX form factor
6.  Lots of hardware monitoring.  ASIC/IPMI a must.
7.  (of course) will run LinuxBIOS

I've tetatively settled on a Tyan Thunder K7 S2462 and I've had reasonable
experiences with the vendor in the past.  For bios it says it's got a 4MB
flash chip and supports DMI 2.0.  I'm new to LinuxBIOS so comments are
appreciated.  There's a page at :
http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk7.html

and manual at
ftp://ftp.tyan.com/manuals/thunder/m_s2462_100.pdf

Thx
Dave