Low performance of the IDE on the SIS550

Yves Godin Yves.Godin at lyrtech.com
Thu Oct 3 11:40:01 CEST 2002

At 10:50 AM 10/3/02 -0400, you wrote:
>Have you tried hdparm /dev/whateverX (or hdparm -t /dev/whateverX)?  This
>will give you a more
>accurate result (IMHO) and it will allow you to set the DMA settings
>on the drive.

Yes, I do. And the results are very close to those that I got with dd. The
problem whith hdparm
is that it only gives the performance in reading not in writing.

I found why I cannot set the UDMA mode 3/4/5. My board has a 44 pin ide
connector and the
cable that come with it convert from 44 pins to a 40 pins. To be able to
set the UDMA mode 3/4/5,
I must used a 80 wires cable. I try on another "slow" PC and there not a
great difference of
performance between the UDMA mode 2 and the UDMA mode 5.

Yves