file system error (fwd)

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Fri Nov 29 14:11:01 CET 2002

"Ronald G. Minnich" <rminnich at lanl.gov> writes:

> any ideas?
>
> ron

All DMA is turned off hdparm -d0 /dev/hda ??

> In this time, I tried to attach SCSI & IEEE1394 SBP-2 devices.
> case1. Adaptec 2930 SCSI adapter + 8GB Seagate SCSI HDD
> case2. IEEE1394 Interface card + external IEEE1394 HDD
> both cases show the same problem.

The northbridge having DMA problems is still a canidate.
SCSI disks do DMA as well.

> Now, I think it's not a DMA problem.
> I'm in the maze. hmmmm......
>
> Is there any clear hint?

Past history with the Athlon problems on VIA chipsets
says that some VIA northbridges have problems with burst traffic.

And either DMA or a fast memory copy could trigger it.   memtest86
currently does not have an optimized memcpy so it could miss that problem.

Currently I consider your northbridge to be the best canidate.
The same kernel is run under both BIOSes?

Compared to your previous BIOS are there any unknown settings
in the northbridge?

In particular what are the differences between, on both boards,
and can you account for the differences.
lspci -s 0:0.0 -xxx
And can you account for all differences.

Eric