Question regarding instructions...

Nathanael Noblet nathanael at gnat.ca
Fri Nov 29 01:38:01 CET 2002

On Thursday, November 28, 2002, at 11:07 PM, Gregg C Levine wrote:

> Hello from Gregg C Levine
> You are thinking of that square gizmo, with the blurry label on it? And
> above the Disk On Chip device? It might be, I've seen AWARD BIOS units
> jammed into PLCC type flash devices before, but its rather rare.

That is the device. It says on it:
AWARD
copy 1998
PCI/PNP 586
230085332

I really don't think it is anything but the BIOS chip. It is in a
square "socket" ( I use the term loosely) with 9 pins on the top and
bottom, 7 on the left and right.

Oh and what is a PLCC flash device?? I'll google but perhaps you can
point me in the right direction...

>  That
> because EPROM, both flash, and the others exist in many styles. If it's
> wearing that label, then you've found it. See if you can identify the
> chip type as well, so you can replace it with a matching device. By the
> way, what was stored on the DOC, to begin with?

I think the DoC originally had just a basic DOS install (sys C:) type
thing. The business I purchased it from wanted to show that the DoC was
functional.

> And of course my
> favorite question of the week, "Where did you get this unit from?".

A local place here in Calgary. The part is a PIA-671, PMMX 233 with
pretty much everything you can imagine. CRT/flat panel, USB, key mouse,
3d AGP card,serial parallel etc... Manufacturer is Arbor, based in
California I think.

--
Nathanael Noblet
Gnat Solutions