booting elf from ROM

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-linuxbios at benshaw.com
Mon Nov 18 23:57:00 CET 2002

I've managed to get all the way to jmp_to_elf_entry(), but I have run in to a
snag in the assembly code which copies LinuxBIOS in to high memory and then
attempts to continue execution up there.

At line 130 of arch/i386/boot/boot.c the code attempts to jump to the next
instruction in its new home.  (the jmp EAX).  When tracing through it in
bochs, however, the EAX just points to the next instruction (in low memory,
where it was executing before).

The copy moves 0x12fab dwords (304kb?) from 0x04000 to 0x3fbb4154 (what on
earth does this address represent?!)

I seem to pass all the ELF header checks so I don't think my problem is
anywhere in the etherboot code...  Can someone maybe explain what
jmp_to_elf_entry() is doing here?

Regards,
Andrew