Reversing the default value of CONFIG_COMPRESS from 1 to 0

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Mon Nov 18 16:24:00 CET 2002

"Ronald G. Minnich" <rminnich at lanl.gov> writes:

> Eric, how much heartburn is there if we set the default value of
> CONFIG_COMPRESS to 0?
>
> I've just hit another platform where it is trouble. At this point I
> believe there are only a small number of platforms for which it works well
> if set to 1. Do you have any issues if we have it default to 0, not 1, so
> it is only enabled on platforms it is "known good" on?

My gut reaction says to keep the default as is, and just change it for known
problem boards.

Long term we want memory at 0xf0000.

In addition we have another way to solve this problem.  Write the code to assign
irqs, given a pirq table.  And that is something long term we need to do as well.

But I guess it depends on where we are on the stabilization curve.
If this was code in a stable series I would say to disable the
compression by default.  Since this seems to be a more or less
development series, and problems are caused not by the compression but
by a side effect of the compression I recommend not hiding the
problems.

Eric