overflowed source buffer ... segment exceeding memory

Ronald G. Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Fri Nov 15 20:51:01 CET 2002

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, steven james wrote:

> Hrmm, the kernel should be in control by that point. The most likely
> problems are kernel compiled fro wrong processor type, and not passing
> console=ttyS0,115200n8 (or whatever speed you're using) to the kernel
> (using mkelfImage's --command-line switch).

if you are seeing 98/99 posts, the kernel is in the idle loop.

The odds are good that you don't have a serial console compiled in, OR you
have vga test console compiled in, OR you did't give the console= switches
james mentioned.

I am actually running a smartcore-p3 right now that doesn't output
anything after boot, and it turned out I forgot to put in a serial
console. Happens to me about once a month.

ron