Can't get a rom image below 512k?

Ronald G. Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Thu Nov 14 00:00:01 CET 2002

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:

> I *think* I did this right.  I'm getting a 64k linuxbios.rom and a 512k
> romimage file.  I'm using 2.4.19 with the SIS patch (as per the SBC710 port
> doc).

I missed something, is your kernel in the 512k romimage?

> Now my biggest concern is that the target board has a 256k flash device.  I
> don't think I can fit 512k into 256k.  :-)

so you'll need etherboot.

> I'm using the digitallogic smartcore-p5 as a guide, as my target board is also
> a 430tx-based board.  I've written an SMC FDC37n958fr super io intializer
> (based on the 37c67x) but otherwise they're pretty similar.

the smartcore-p5 I think builds a 256KB romimage.

> My intention is to use the LinuxBIOS to either boot a real kernel using
> etherboot (I have to compile in PCMCIA then though) or to boot from a
> IDE-attached CompactFlash card.

IDE-attached CF works now for me on several platforms.

I'm intrigued though, how small is your kernel again?

Are you sure that a 512KB flash won't work in your board? the address
lines might be there.

ron