Can't get a rom image below 512k?

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-linuxbios at benshaw.com
Wed Nov 13 21:16:00 CET 2002

I *think* I did this right.  I'm getting a 64k linuxbios.rom and a 512k
romimage file.  I'm using 2.4.19 with the SIS patch (as per the SBC710 port
doc).

If I run the bios inside of bochs, I get a segfault (yes, bochs crashes!)
after saying "prefetch: running in bogus memory".  It does this for either
the 64k rom image or the 512k one.

Now my biggest concern is that the target board has a 256k flash device.  I
don't think I can fit 512k into 256k.  :-)

I'm using the digitallogic smartcore-p5 as a guide, as my target board is also
a 430tx-based board.  I've written an SMC FDC37n958fr super io intializer
(based on the 37c67x) but otherwise they're pretty similar.

My intention is to use the LinuxBIOS to either boot a real kernel using
etherboot (I have to compile in PCMCIA then though) or to boot from a
IDE-attached CompactFlash card.

At this stage in the game my kernel is pared down just about as much as I can
think to do it.  no VT (serial console only), IDE, direct PCI and that's
about it.

Am I missing something?

Regards,
Andrew