ide kernel loading

John Allen jallen at integraltech.com
Fri Nov 8 14:49:01 CET 2002

I found a parameter, BOOT_IDE, which I have enabled instead of
USE_GENERIC_ROM.  It appears that when I use this parameter, linuxbios
tries to load the kernel from my hard ide hard drive.  Is this what the
parameter is meant to do?  If this is the case, then I should be able to
place the kernel on the hard drive instead of within the flash memory.
 This would solve my 256K flash size limit problem.  It also seems to be
easier to load the kernel from the hard drive, instead of loading a
kernel from the flash, then having that kernel load the kernel from the
hard drive.  If I can load the kernel from the hard drive, then how do I
get the kernel to the hard drive.  Does it need its own partition.
 Maybe I could make a small raw partition at the beginning of the drive,
and the rest of the root file system on another partition behind the raw
one.  Any thoughts?
John