Regarding the register values for the SDRAM intialization.

Ronald G. Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Tue Dec 31 11:33:00 CET 2002

On Mon, 30 Dec 2002, sivakumar wrote:

> I am porting the northbridge 82845e for my motherboard. While coding
> raminit.inc file, I took the file from the 82830 chipset directory and
> modified as per the requirement of the 82845e chipset. Now I want to
> know, How to get the register value of the regsiters, like DRB DRAM ROW
> BOUNDARY REGISTER and etc.  Do I need to read these regsiter value from
> the system using normal BIOS? I could not find much details about the
> values in the specification. Is my assumption is correct?

now it gets hard. You need to understand how to read the SPD information
and program these registers from SPD. Using BIOS settings is in most cases
unnecessary, except for undocumented magic bits which are occasionally
there.

Check out the code on e.g. the 440gx which reads SPD and programs the
north bridge from this SPD data. That will give you an idea of how to
proceed.

ron