VGA and LinuxBios

Steve M. Gehlbach steve at nexpath.com
Tue Dec 10 23:10:01 CET 2002

> I've heard of some code that already works with the vt8601 that I'm
> looking to use.
>
> Andy

There should be a way to put the 8601a specific stuff in
northbridge/via/8601a, and try and keep vga generic (legacy) register code
in a central place (eg, pc80/). This worked well for stpc and sis630; most
of the code is common even though the chips are radically different, they
both match well to legacy VGA.  There are also changes to lib/video_subr.c
since it currently doesn't move the cursor or use the correct memory address
for text.

The only reason this hasn't been integrated into linuxbios codebase at this
point is partly lack of interest (I think) in this group, since most use the
serial console, and partly that I have been off on other things lately.

All of my projects use the vga console, so as I use various integrated
chipsets, I will be adding vga for each.  Until this gets into the linuxbios
base, anyone that wants the code just send me an email.  It's all gpl of
course.

-Steve