LinuxBIOS and Vxworks

Steve M. Gehlbach steve at nexpath.com
Tue Dec 10 21:26:00 CET 2002

> Anybody: What's the recommended approach/reference/magic to getting video
> going for LinuxBIOS. I'd like to get the on-chip video going on
> the VIA Epia
> board - Hints appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
> Andy

Do you mean a linuxbios vga text console?

I have the code to set the legacy registers to start VGA for a vga console,
integrated into linuxbios, working on two different integrated chips, the
stpc cpu/chipset, and the sis 630 chipset.  It sets the registers for
640x400 std text vga, and also 640x480x4 graphics.  I was working on the
display of a .pcx graphics file when I had to get onto something else, but
it was all working the last time I tried it.

You are welcome to the code if it would help.  AFAIR the EPIA is the
PLE133/vt8601a, which has legacy VGA registers.  All you need usually is
legacy plus a "few other settings" to get text and/or simple legacy graphics
going.  The "few other settings" can be bitch, though.

-Steve