question on e7500 sizeram

steven james pyro at linuxlabs.com
Wed Dec 4 09:50:00 CET 2002

Greetings,

My understanding is that it is used to accomodate PCI memory mappings. The
layout is regular memory, then PCI devices, APICs and flash, then any
physical ram above remap_high goes over the 4Gig mark (for PAE).

G'day,
sjames

On Tue, 3 Dec 2002, Ronald G. Minnich wrote:

> freebios/src/northbridge/intel/E7500/northbridge.c
>
> In this file there is a variable called remap_high. I assume the function
> of this is to remap the high memory (512MB) so it is contiguous with the
> low 512MB.
>
> Even when remap_high is true, on -current, I end up with two 512MB
> segemnts, one at 0 and one at 4 GB.
>
> Anybody have any idea as to why this would happen? It's confusing 2.4.19
> from what I can see.
>
> ron

-------------------------steven james, director of research, linux labs
... ........ ..... ....                     230 peachtree st nw ste 701
the original linux labs                             atlanta.ga.us 30303
      -since 1995                              http://www.linuxlabs.com
                                   office 404.577.7747 fax 404.577.7743