question on e7500 sizeram

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Tue Dec 3 20:19:00 CET 2002

"Ronald G. Minnich" <rminnich at lanl.gov> writes:

> freebios/src/northbridge/intel/E7500/northbridge.c
>
> In this file there is a variable called remap_high. I assume the function
> of this is to remap the high memory (512MB) so it is contiguous with the
> low 512MB.
>
> Even when remap_high is true, on -current, I end up with two 512MB
> segemnts, one at 0 and one at 4 GB.
>
> Anybody have any idea as to why this would happen? It's confusing 2.4.19
> from what I can see.

And while I am replying the confusion of 2.4.19 if it is real, is a kernel
problem.  If you can confirm that the problems go away  when all of
memory is in 1 1GB segment that would be a very interesting data
point.  I suspect the kernel simply has some very confusing messages,
and no problems will be solved by flipping this option.

Eric