On 9/25/19 7:06 AM, Sam Eiderman via wrote:
Non-standard logical geometries break under QEMU.
A virtual disk which contains an operating system which depends on logical geometries (consistent values being reported from BIOS INT13 AH=08) will most likely break under QEMU/SeaBIOS if it has non-standard logical geometries - for example 56 SPT (sectors per track). No matter what QEMU will guess - SeaBIOS, for large enough disks - will use LBA translation, which will report 63 SPT instead.
In addition we can not enforce SeaBIOS to rely on phyiscal geometries at all. A virtio-blk-pci virtual disk with 255 phyiscal heads can not report more than 16 physical heads when moved to an IDE controller, the ATA spec allows a maximum of 16 heads - this is an artifact of virtualization.
By supplying the logical geometies directly we are able to support such "exotic" disks.
We will use fw_cfg to do just that.
Fix missing parenthesis check in "hd-geo-test: Add tests for lchs override"
- Rename fw_cfg key to "bios-geometry".
- Remove "extendible" interface.
- Add cpu_to_le32 fix as Laszlo suggested or big endian hosts
- Fix last qtest commit - automatic docker tester for some reason does not have qemu-img set
- Change fw_cfg interface from mixed textual/binary to textual only
- Fix line > 80 chars in tests/hd-geo-test.c
- Small fixes for issues pointed by Max
- (&conf->conf)->lcyls to conf->conf.lcyls and so on
- Remove scsi_unrealize from everything other than scsi-hd
- Add proper include to sysemu.h
- scsi_device_unrealize() after scsi_device_purge_requests()
- Adapted last commit (tests) to changes in qtest
Sam Eiderman (8): block: Refactor macros - fix tabbing block: Support providing LCHS from user bootdevice: Add interface to gather LCHS scsi: Propagate unrealize() callback to scsi-hd bootdevice: Gather LCHS from all relevant devices bootdevice: Refactor get_boot_devices_list bootdevice: FW_CFG interface for LCHS values hd-geo-test: Add tests for lchs override
bootdevice.c | 148 ++++++++-- hw/block/virtio-blk.c | 6 + hw/ide/qdev.c | 7 +- hw/nvram/fw_cfg.c | 14 +- hw/scsi/scsi-bus.c | 16 ++ hw/scsi/scsi-disk.c | 12 + include/hw/block/block.h | 22 +- include/hw/scsi/scsi.h | 1 + include/sysemu/sysemu.h | 4 + tests/Makefile.include | 2 +- tests/hd-geo-test.c | 589 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ 11 files changed, 780 insertions(+), 41 deletions(-)
Thanks, applied to my IDE tree:
Is that the right tree? Nope, but time's marching on without us. If any other maintainer has an objection, you have until Friday before I send the PR!