Easy things to try.
1) load the new etherboot with the old etherboot, over the network.
That should confirm that the code actually works.
2) Play with RELOCADDR in etherboot so we don't trigger the bounce
I tried #2 first, I put RELOCADDR=0x80000 and that didn't trigger the bounce
code but it still locked up. Then I tried #1 where I serve the via-rhine.elf
file from 5.2.2 to etherboot 5.0.10. I get this:
Searching for server (BOOTP)...
.Me: 172.30.6.71, Server: 172.30.6.100, Gateway 172.30.6.254
Loading 172.30.6.100:via_rhine_elf ...(ELF)... ................done
ROM segment 0x0001 length 0x0000 reloc 0x00020000
This is a lot easier to experiment with since I don't have to burn bootroms.
I'll keep working on it. All I'm trying to get is some sign of life from
etherboot 5.2.2 that it loaded correctly.