# 2022-02-23 - coreboot Leadership Meeting Minutes
Felix Singer, Jay Talbott, Werner Zeh, Martin Roth, Ron Minnich, Eric Peers, Piotr Krol, Felix Held, Jason Glenesk, Subrata Banik, David Hendricks, Marshall, Sheng, Tim C.
## Key Decisions:
* coreboot would like to apply for Google Season of docs, but needs someone to run the project. * The documentation menu is being reworked. * No decision made at this time about CB:62013. It would be nice to make it easier to support chips building from outside of the existing codebase, but that encourages not pushing those changes back to coreboot. If/When we do make this easier to support, please don't use weak externs.
* [FelixS] [Season of Docs 2022](https://opensource.googleblog.com/2022/02/Announcing%20Season%20of%20Docs%20...) application phase starts on 23.02. * Martin will ask around to see who would be interested in running this for coreboot. TimW expressed interest in it last year, so we can start with him.
* [Jay] Support for 1st/2nd gen Xeon-SP (Sky Lake / Cascade Lake) on OCP Tioga Pass. * Facebook & Intel had put together a POC for 1st Gen, and showed it at a couple of events. FSP was hacked together and was not going to be published. coreboot code is present and is ongoing for future platforms. SysPro was hired by ITRenew to port the Gen3 code back to gen 1 & 2. ITRenew was just bought out by Iron Mountain, and that line has been scrapped. Funding has been lost, so SysPro will be shelving this until someone else funds it. Creating the FSP under agreement with Intel, which will also not be going forward. * David - Tides may turn again. That had been ITRenew’s model and they found that reselling the servers for use can earn a lot more $$$ then selling discrete parts. Maybe the parts shortage changed this... * Send to mailing list. Check with OCP to see if anyone there is interested in finishing the project. * Can’t really hand off the project to anyone else easily - FSP is under contract between Intel & SysPro. But coreboot can be developed by anyone.
* [Subrata] Like to discuss about [CB:62013](https://review.coreboot.org/c/coreboot/+/62013) ( a problem highlighted by Intel for early SoC development using downstream coreboot, will share more lights if get chance to talk during meeting) * Having the device IDs in common code causes rebase issues when developing a new SOC internally before the information can be released. * The patch may help intel development, but this also allows the vendors to avoid downstreaming the code. * [David] this is definitely a common problem in development. * [FelixH] Unless there’s a definite technical reason, it’d be preferable to keep it in the common code. It’s not too difficult to keep the patches in sync by rebase every once in a while. * [Werner] Let’s try to point to a better way of doing open sourcing. * [David] How do we get vendors like Intel & AMD get to a state where they can more easily push code upstream before their platform is released? Is there a model to reduce needed diffs to common code when a new product goes upstream? * [Marshall] Is the problem that this is solving an embargo problem? Is it that companies would keep code internal forever and not publish it to the coreboot codebase? * [Subrata] Not really an embargo issue, though David’s point is valid. * In the patch train, there’s a comment that talks about the early development problem. * For meteor lake, intel copied the current code a while back, and branched it off into a separate SOC. This makes rebasing issues difficult. * To make this easier, moving things to the SOC code out of the common code. * Keeping the device ids in common code pollutes the namespace and causes code to have to loop through all of the device IDs. * Weak externs cause a lot of issues because you can’t easily tell where the code is coming from.
* [MartinR] 4.16 release is coming along - should be done today or tomorrow.
* [Felix S] Reworking the menu of doc.coreboot.org. More patches will follow [https://review.coreboot.org/c/coreboot/+/62219%5D(https://review.coreboot.or...)
* [Martinr] Coverity builds have been having issues. When the Go code was added to the coreboot build, that messed up the analysis for a while. We got that fixed at the beginning of february, but coverity updated their toolchain, and things are getting stuck again. Martin is working on getting this going again.
* [MartinR] Adding a tool to jenkins to scan the codebase for broken links. * Lots of broken links found, especially in the wiki.
* [Subrata] Requested help a couple of weeks ago to drop APIs from FSP. 2 already done, and still more are planning for removal. Thanks!
# Notice Decisions shown here are not necessarily final, and are based on the current information available. If there are questions or comments about decisions made, or additional information to present, please put it on the leadership meeting agenda and show up if possible to discuss it.
Of course items may also be discussed on the mailing list, but as it's difficult to interpret tone over email, controversial topics frequently do not have good progress in those discussions. For particularly difficult issues, it may be best to try to schedule another meeting.