[SerialICE] Bricking (and unbricking) your board.

Myles Watson mylesgw at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 23:58:45 CEST 2010

I was surprised how easy it was to brick my board.  These ideas might
be useful to somebody:

Before you start messing with PCI & I/O values that might keep their state:

- have a lspci -vvvxxx from the factory BIOS
- record as much of the boot process from the factory BIOS as possible

I wanted to collect the bit masks from my factory BIOS, so I modified
the filter to return 0x0 and then 0xffffffff for the PCI registers.
That way I could see which bits were being changed.  After some of the
registers were changed, I couldn't boot the board with Coreboot or the
factory BIOS.  I used SerialICE to set the PCI values to what they
were in a saved run of the factory BIOS, and it booted again.

Thanks,
Myles