[SeaBIOS] coreboot and `Timeout at i8042_flush:71!`

Kevin O'Connor kevin at koconnor.net
Sun Jan 29 20:18:45 CET 2017

On Sun, Jan 29, 2017 at 10:08:10AM +0100, Paul Menzel wrote:
> Dear SeaBIOS folks,
>

> coreboots board status repository has some SeaBIOS warnings, and I
> believe the keyboard doesn’t work in that case.
>
> ```
> $ git grep 'Timeout at i8042_flush' origin/master --
> origin/master:amd/lamar/4.0-9540-gae5ab60/2015-04-30T02:12:19Z/coreboot_console.txt:WARNING - Timeout at i8042_flush:71!

I don't think that warning is a problem - it generally indicates that
a ps2 port isn't present.  So, I suspect most of these boards lack the
ps2 port.

[...]
> I also experience this sometimes on a Lenovo X60, when I load the
> SeaBIOS ELF file from GRUB with the commands below.
>
> ```
> > chainloader (cbfsdisk)/img/seabios
> > boot
> ```
>
> Every time, the keyboard doesn’t work – on the Lenovo X60 it’s
> connected over the PS/2 port – the error message `Timeout at
> i8042_flush:71!` can be seen.
>
> Note, that it’s unlikely to be a timing issue, as the keyboard works in
> the GRUB payload *before*.
>
> Any idea, what causes the problem, and is there a way to fix it?

I don't have much help.  The message appears after 16 bytes are read
from the port and the port still indcates data is available.  I can't
think of any valid situation where that would occur.

Is the problem reproducible?