[coreboot] Further coreboot releases, setting new standards

Nico Huber nico.huber at secunet.com
Wed Nov 28 13:47:32 CET 2018

Hello Mike,

Am 28.11.18 um 13:27 schrieb Mike Banon:
>> As a pure consulting service, the ports and customizations that we have
>> made to coreboot to support our clients' hardware (including the work
>> done for Intel) is turned over to the client at the end of each project
>> to do with as they please. If they choose to upstream it or not to
>> coreboot.org is really up to them, and if they do, it would get
>> upstreamed by them, not by us, since they then own the code. <--- ???
>
> Almost all the coreboot source code is GPLv2 licensed, not some
> commercial closed-source proprietary license, and you will not be
> breaking this GPLv2 license by contributing your patches even though
> they have been created by the request of your clients.

They wouldn't break "this GPLv2 license" (what ever that means) *but*
they'd likely break copyright as the changes aren't GPLv2 licensed (yet)
in this case. But... I'm not a lawyer, you are not a lawyer (I assume),
please *do not give legal advice on this mailing list*.

And please read the GPL. Don't make claims about it, unless you under-
stood it as a whole (hint: there's a part about products and distri-
bution in binary form, iirc, that you should read carefully).

I agree that the changes might contain cherries to pick. But that
doesn't change the way licenses work. If you want to change that, go
out on the street, protest against copyright.

Nico