[coreboot] Further coreboot releases, setting new standards

Arthur Heymans arthur at aheymans.xyz
Fri Nov 23 16:32:35 CET 2018

Patrick Georgi via coreboot <coreboot at coreboot.org> writes:

> Am Fr., 23. Nov. 2018 um 14:43 Uhr schrieb Arthur Heymans <arthur at aheymans.xyz>:
>
>  I'd argue for requiring the following:
>
> In which time frame? The next release, ie May 2019? In two releases,
> November 2019?

That is indeed worthy item of discussion.

NO_RELOCATABLE_RAMSTAGE on x86 is only selected by:
NORTHBRIDGE_AMD_AMDFAM10,
NORTHBRIDGE_AMD_LX,
NORTHBRIDGE_VIA_VX900,
SOC_INTEL_FSP_BAYTRAIL,
SOC_INTEL_FSP_BROADWELL_DE

POSTCAR_STAGE is selected by:
cpu/amd/agesa
cpu/amd/pi
mainboard/intel/galileo
northbridge/intel/i440bx
northbridge/intel/i945
northbridge/intel/e7505
northbridge/intel/gm45
northbridge/intel/haswell
northbridge/intel/nehalem
northbridge/intel/pineview
northbridge/intel/sandybridge
northbridge/intel/sandybridge
northbridge/intel/x4x
soc/amd/stoneyridge
soc/intel/apollolake
soc/intel/cannonlake
soc/intel/denverton_ns
soc/intel/skylake
soc/intel/icelake
so all other x86 targets don't implement it and therefore lack
NO_CAR_GLOBAL_MIGRATION.

C_ENVIRONMENT_BOOTBLOCK is even less used since it is a relatively new
feature (was introduced with INTEL_APOLLOLAKE and INTEL_SKYLAKE) so most
x86 targets don't implement it but there are already many patches for it lying
around for review (like most targets in northbridge/intel/*). It is
however a very useful feature to have.

So it would seem reasonable to drop NO_RELOCATABLE_RAMSTAGE in may 2019
and mandate NO_CAR_GLOBAL_MIGRATION and C_ENVIRONMENT_BOOTBLOCK in
november 2019? Any thoughts on this?

Nico also suggested to set the timeframe 2 weeks before the release, to
avoid last minute WIP patches attempting to tackle the issue right
before the release.