[coreboot] $7 cheap FT232H board as EHCI debug dongle for coreboot - would it work?

Kyösti Mälkki kyosti.malkki at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 18:52:15 CET 2018

On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 6:13 PM, Mike Banon <mikebdp2 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for your results, Georg! Although this "adafruit board"
> costs twice more ( $15 ) and has a microUSB instead of a sturdy
> full-sized one, your report gives me more confidence in the success of
> the idea.

With the male-A type connector, FTxxxx PCB will end up hanging aside
the laptop with no designed mechanical flex. Bump it, and with bad
luck you break the female-A connector on the DUT PCB. To avoid it you
would need A-A extension cables. Overall, I would say setup is less
fragile with micro-USB.

Also that PCB is wider than the USB male-A connector, it will block
neighbouring connectors on a desktop boards' IO shield. Again, A-A
extension needed.

Kyösti