[coreboot] BIOS upgrade before flashing coreboot

Akendo akendo at akendo.eu
Thu Jun 7 12:05:34 CEST 2018

Hey everyone,

currently I working on a x220 to flash coreboot onto it. I notice that
my x220 has a current BIOS version from 2011 (1.24 UEFI/BIOS and 1.13  ECP).

Within the change-log[0] variates updates and fixes are stated.
Including changes to the ME engine. Within many documentation part of
coreboot, it's stated, that the ME part can't be written. Here my
question: Should I update the BIOS to the latest release before flashing
coreboot onto it?

There is for example this note:

> If the UEFI BIOS has been updated to version 1.43 or higher, it is no longer
>   able to roll back to the version before 1.43 for security improvement.

Could this cause problems? For example the CVE-2017-5715 (Spectre) would
be fixed. I expect them to run role out the microcode update from
Intel... so might be no problem to coreboot, right?

best regards,
akendo

[0]https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/8duj29us.txt