[coreboot] Dell R610 Support

Nico Huber nico.h at gmx.de
Tue Dec 11 10:29:38 CET 2018

Hello Ed,

> I just started looking into adding support for the dell r610.

I really don't want to discourage you, but if I'm looking at the correct
datasheet, this machine is using Nehalem/Westmere EP processors (e.g.
Xeon X5550 etc.). If that is the case, this is no project suited for a
coreboot beginner: It's unlikely that Intel would give out any useful
documentation about these processors and there is no platform alike
(i.e. with QPI) in coreboot. Reverse engineering is possible, but as a
spare-time project this could take years.

Maybe you can find another system that fits your workloads and already
has some coreboot chipset support. Though, on the Intel server front
it's not looking very good. Intel fought hard to keep these platforms
coreboot free.

Nico