[coreboot] Design discussions on gerrit

Zoran Stojsavljevic zoran.stojsavljevic at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 14:17:27 CEST 2017

Interesting discussion... Thank you Patrick for making me aware of some
"things". ;-)

Here is what read from my search about this topic from/on the net:

Processor switches to System Management Mode (SMM) from protected or
real-address mode upon receiving System Management Interrupt (SMI) from
various internal or external devices or generated by software. In response
to SMI it executes special SMI handler located in System Management RAM
(SMRAM) region reserved by the BIOS from Operating System for various SMI
handlers. SMRAM is consisting of several regions contiguous in physical
memory: compatibility segment (CSEG) fixed to addresses 0xA0000 - 0xBFFFF
below 1MB or top segment (TSEG) that can reside anywhere in the physical
memory.
*If CPU accesses CSEG while not in SMM mode (regular protected mode code),
memory controller forwards the access to video memory instead of DRAM.
Similarly, non-SMM access to TSEG memory is not allowed by the hardware.
Consequently, access to SMRAM regions is allowed only while processor is
executing code in SMM mode. At boot time, system BIOS firmware initializes
SMRAM, decompresses SMI handlers stored in BIOS ROM and copies them to
SMRAM. BIOS firmware then should "lock" SMRAM to enable its protection
guaranteed by chipset so that SMI handlers cannot be modified by the OS or
any other code from this point on.*

Upon receiving SMI CPU starts fetching SMI handler instructions from SMRAM
in big real mode with predefined CPU state. *Shortly after that, SMI code
in modern systems initializes and loads Global Descriptor Table (GDT) and
transitions CPU to protected mode without paging. SMI handlers can access
4GB of physical memory.* Operating System execution is suspended for the
entire time SMI handler is executing till it resumes to protected mode and
restarts OS execution from the point it was interrupted by SMI.

Default treatment of SMI and SMM code by the processor that supports
virtual machine extensions (for example, Intel VMX) is to leave virtual
machine mode upon receiving SMI for the entire time SMI handler is
executing [intel_man]. Nothing can cause CPU to exit to virtual machine
root (host) mode when in SMM, meaning that Virtual Machine Monitor (VMM)
does not control/virtualize SMI handlers.

Quite obviously that SMM represents an isolated and "privileged"
environment and is a target for malware/rootkits. Once malicious code is
injected into SMRAM, no OS kernel or VMM based anti-virus software can
protect the system nor can they remove it from SMRAM.

It should be noted that the first study of SMM based rootkits was provided
in the paper [smm] followed by [phrack_smm] and a proof of concept
implementation of SMM based keylogger and network backdoor in [smm_rkt].

Very interesting... Never analyzed in my entire life SMM mode (too lazy and
too ignorant, I admit), but, after reading of this thread, I started
searching, much more important, I started finally thinking (mozgi krutit6)!
And few questions actually popped in my mind.

It is obvious, that there are dedicated HW extensions in x86 CPU/PCH
architecture which are enabling CPU SMM mode upon SMI int. Then, the whole
show is done automatically by HW. The 0xA0000 to 0xBFFFF legacy space got
swapped by 128KB of DXE creation (UEFI stage where SMRAM memory (in the
first 4GB of DDRAM) is defined and initialized, then populated/decompressed
from BIOS SPI as SMI handler), and then this 128KB of SMRAM is locked and
shadowed by real 0xA0000 - 0xBFFFF video memory Real 16bit Mode.

And, questions... marked by [#]!

[1] Why BIOS flash should not be read and SMI handler decompressed outside
the executable environment? OK, I do get it, BIOS flash is normally locked.
[2] So, to program 2MB/4MB of Coreboot on the top of BIOS, the BIOS flash
should be unlocked, correct? Or signed?

OK, even then, let say, I overlooked something... Now, I see. Since it is
impossible to access 128KB of SMI handler (shadowed by HW), YES, it
accesses somewhere in its code PCIe function: uint32_t
pci_read_config32[d](pci_devfn_t dev, *unsigned int where*), and *where*
can be easily changed in other modes. Weak point for rootkit/malicious
attack!

The new question here is:
[3] Why SMI handler should access this f-n? For exploring/testing ACPI with
platform PCIe devices? Or something else???

Since I see that SMI handler is actually putting the whole HW/platform in
Protected NON paged mode (making/enforcing its own GTD), to have (?) enough
memory for data required (it can access all TOLUD, up to 4GB, or I am
mistaken)???

And, anyway:
[4] How much of very complex logic could be put in SMI (text segment)
handler, in total of 128KB of code? A lot, if the whole logic is written in
x86 asm, which, I assume, it is truly?! Or I overlooked something!?

Thank you,
Zoran
_______