[coreboot] Post code 0x80

Konstantin Lazarev klazarev at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 23 19:16:54 CEST 2009

Hi Myles,

Thank you for hint. I found this place too. Apparently it is not correct for vx800 platform.

I tried to modify this output in src/boot/hardwaremain.c to have different POST code. And I still have the same sequence "00"->''10"->"80" after complete rebuild of the image.
Ok. It looks that I need more understanding about what is the sequence of execution of coreboot.
Here is the quote from documentation/POSTCODES
0x10 Entry into protected mode
0x01 Entry into 'crt0.s' reset code jumps to here
0x11 Start copying LinuxBIOS to RAM with decompression if compressed
0x12 Copy/decompression finished jumping to RAM
0x80 Entry into LinuxBIOS in RAM
0x13 Entry into c_start
0xfe Pre call to hardwaremain()
0x39 Console is initialized
0x40 Console boot message succeeded
0x66 Devices have been enumerated
0x88 Devices have been configured
0x89 Devices have been enabled
0xf8 Entry into elf boot
0xf3 Jumping to payload

From this quote I see that boot sequence for vx800 lacks decompression/copy stages and goes directly to entry in RAM. Supposedly code 0x80 is outputted in function hardwaremain which called from c_start.S. But I see in sources that some motherboards/northbridges have their own version of hardwaremain function.  vx800 has one too. But it is in examples and looks that it is not used.

So my question is:
What is the sequence of coreboot start-up for 32-bits x86 after entry32.inc (post code 0x10). What code is executed next before hardwaremain.

Thank you,
Konstantin Lazarev.