[LinuxBIOS] Can't compile flashrom

Shocky shocky1 at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Nov 25 21:49:21 CET 2007

On Sunday 25 November 2007 11:45, Corey Osgood wrote:
> Some HP laptops these days use SPI flash, which flashrom can do only in
> one special situation (afaik), Gigabyte m57sli. Also, the flash may have
> protection coming from the embedded controller or GPIO lines, which
> flashrom knows nothing about.
>
> Last time I flashed my HP laptop's bios, I took a windows 98se iso,
> added the bios and flash utility to it with an iso editor, and then
> burned and booted from it. I ran the utility through dos, and it worked
> fine. This should also work fine with a custom cd and the floppy
> emulation, with a 98se boot disk as the source. K3b can do the dirty work.
> Sorry, can't be of much help.
>
> -Corey

Yeah, I know there's a good chance that it won't work. But I'm willing to give
it a shot if I can. HP is stingy with h/w info, and I haven't yet figured out
the secret handshake to open the case and see who's m/b it is. I've been able
to determine that it uses NVidia MCP51, which has a "?" under the supported
column. Maybe I can at least contribute to getting it supported.

Shocky
--
These are my opinions. Get your own.